The web design world has greatly changed, and so have the expectations of users towards a website. Users are not only looking for entertainment but involvement as well.
What is parallax scrolling?
This is a form of design that creates the impression of action using clever techniques utilizing animation, movement and page depth. The background and foreground in parallax scrolling move at varying speeds while the users are scrolling.
Parallax scrolling offers numerous benefits such as:
- Enhances product presentation – It offers a vivid technique to present products. Unlike in the past, websites no longer display static web content. This technique makes it possible for visitors to interact with a website, consequently promoting them to explore products on their own volition.
- Lowers bounce rate – Bounce rate refers to the percentage of visitors who open a web page and hit the much dreaded ‘Back Button’ without exploring other pages. When the bounce rate is high, website ranking is negatively affected. Parallax scrolling reduces bounce rate because it is just one page hence, there are no additional pages to navigate to. What is more, it provides an amazing user experience making it easy for visitors to stay longer on a web page.
- User freedom – This design takes a cue from the design of mobile touch screens. This gives users a high level of “free reign” while navigating a website. Users are not compelled to settle for vertical viewing only as they have the option of choosing the kind of experience they prefer.
- Improves story telling – Parallax scrolling improves story telling by giving users dynamic content and an easy way to navigate the narrative you are telling. It incorporates the use of compelling visuals.
- Stores all content on one page – With parallax scrolling, there is no need for navigation. This is because all content is stored on one page making the website user friendly. On top of this, it makes the site accessible on a varying number of devices with different screen resolution.
- Triggers action – It gives users the chance to enjoy instant feedback while interacting with your website, making them more alert and willing to carry on with the tour. Users will be intrigued to scroll more in order to see more. This is a motivating promise that compels visitors to enter your website and further listen to the story you have to tell.
- Makes the background fun – Parallax scrolling effects can be used in a subtle manner to animate your background website. It helps bring the design to life and makes the website special.
The illusion created by parallax scrolling enhances the user experience, which means a low bounce rate and high traffic to a website.